View Single Post
Old 13 Feb 2020, 11:03 (Ref:3957395)   #29
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
My first (and only) electric experience was to drive a converted Golf in Holland in 2009; I was really impressed by the performance but have things really progressed in the intervening 11 years

My experience with an electric vehicle was back in the late 70s and continued into the 80s, but the performance was absolutely woeful!

Perhaps I should explain. Back then, I was a member of my local Round Table, and one of our annual traditions was to go around the village collecting donations during the lead up to Christmas in order to provide Christmas hampers for the less well off in our locality. To do this collecting, we towed a sleigh on a trailer, with loudspeakers blasting out Christmas carols and one of our members dressed up as Santa Claus waving to all and sundry , whilst we knocked on doors with our collecting tins.

During my year as chairman of the committee responsible for raising charitable donations, it became apparent that the trailer float was at the end of it's life, and one of the committee jokingly suggested that a milk float would be the perfect platform for creating a new float. As Express Dairies (and United) were one of my customers, I was delegated to see whether they would lend us one of their floats for us to use on an annual basis. To my surprise, they actually donated a float that was surplus to their requirements, along with its great big charger. They also provided and paid for a 3 phase electric supply where we stored the float, and sent an engineer out at the end of November each year to check that the float was roadworthy.

Oh, and nought to thirty took about a day, but only if you were going downhill.