View Single Post
Old 9 Jul 2018, 21:47 (Ref:3835765)   #33
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregUK View Post
1987 - 27 cars within 2 seconds. Unfortunately only 26 were allowed on the grid.

See post #8
Assuming you mean 1977?

But due to the grid restriction, <2s covering the grid is not the full picture.
Eliminating the backmarkers from the qualifying spread will naturally narrow the performance range.

Apply the same principle of 1977 to 2018 and we get the following situation:
Slowest 10% of cars are discounted from results as they probably had mistakes on their laps.
1977 Pole 1:18.490 10% of field (3 cars from 30) leaves slowest at 1:20.460
2018 Q1 fastest 1:26.585 10% of field (2 cars from 20) leaves slowest to set a time at 1:28.456

1977 and 2018 field spread of top 90% is <2s - so the field is just as competitive today as it was then.