View Single Post
Old 1 Dec 2021, 17:07 (Ref:4086171)   #1
TuteZaek
Racer

TuteZaek should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Relative pace of argentine series cars

So, i was doing nothing on internet while working and just occurred to me that San Juan Villicum already hosted 4 of the big 5 series of Argentina, with the last remaning one, the Turismo Nacional, going there on 12/12

So, as a professional procastinator, did my duty and searched for the lap times for all the races and found a kinda weird thing with the Top Race V6 performance. To explain, here are the qualy times of al the series (including TN C3 2020) at Villicum

Turismo Nacional C3 (Naturally Aspirated 2L I4, Arround 280-300 hp, low aero FWD, NA Carrera): 1;52.543 *

Top Race V6 (Naturally Aspirated 3L V6 Arround 380-390, aero heavy on drag reduction and downforce, RWD, PIRELLI (?)**: 1;49.474

TC Pick Up: (Naturally Aspirated 3.1 I6, arround 450 HP, Aero...no thanks, RWD, PIRELLI) 1;47.884

Super TC2000 (Turbo 2L I4, 390h hp on qualy, Aero Heavy, FWD, PIRELLI): 1;47.245

TC (NA 3.1 I6, arround 470hp, weird aero, high downforce and drag reduction convined with old shapes, RWD, NA CARRERA): 1;41.515

By reference WSBK pole was 1;37.617, but using the bike configuration of the circuit, while Argentine SBK1000 pole was 1;42.859 on that same configuration

Looking at that, appart from the bonkers time of the TC (there is some black magic going there) all the others seems close enough, especially the TR, STC and Pick ups, with this one actually surprising me, those bricks with wheels can drive.

But then i started to look close to Top Race times, and they are too slow for the car, they should have the advantage over the STC2000 and the pickups based on configuration, being race specific silhouettes using basically the same tires as the others, because, while more powerfull, the trucks give a lot of advantage with its high drag low downforce setup, and the wheels arent as optimal, in terms of dimentions for the car. And the STC2000 has an amazing amount of development for its chasis, but they are still production basted, and not only that, the power figures are similar, with the "super" cars being FWD, a less optimal configuration for racing

Some of it could be attributed to Villicum being a new track for the series, after all, the TN C3 improved by 3 seconds on 2020 from its first visit on 2019, but then, the PickUps went there for fist time too.

And then, i looked to the TC Mouras time: 1;46.349, for a series with similar power and configuration (it uses the old pushrod TC engine, with restrictors, should be less than 390 hp, and also RWD, but with NA tires, wich should*** be harder/slower than the pirellis) and they gain 3 seconds on the TR, while also racing there for first time (and mostly racing on one circuit, La Plata)

There is something kinda wrong with the TRv6

*2020 qualy time
** The techichal datasheet mentions Dunlop Direzzas, but i think its old, pirelli being an sponsor of the series this year, if they are using the dunlops, maybe there is where the diferecence lies.
*** Its the common nuance, and taking into account the TC 1000km, that tires are overbuilt/harder than they need)

Last edited by TuteZaek; 1 Dec 2021 at 17:18.