View Single Post
Old 31 Aug 2006, 21:08 (Ref:1698848)   #29
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
greenamex2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rob, sorry I have to disagree with you.

Racing has 'evolved' beyond all recognition in the last 17 years I have been doing it.

Andy and Al's comments really summed it up. People don't mind spending their money on their cars which inevitably means more modified cars.

What they do mind is then getting very poor value for money on race day. In Super Road Saloons case this was demonstrated when half way through a season a set of proposed regs appeared that alienated well over half the field. If the BRSCC really believed that a bunch of club racers were just going to say "OK I'll throw away my now worthless car and build a new one" they were incredibly dumb. Personally I think it was just a ploy to get rid of us!

The problem is defining good/bad value for money.

Take DTRC for example. The regs allow very highly modified and expensive machinery to be created but it is staggeringly successful. Ironically the only series that is similar in terms of success is Stock Hatches, arguably at the very opposite end of the potential expenditure scale.

The likes of Super Road Saloons and Mod Prods sat/sit somewhere in the middle and have suffered smaller grids.

Maybe there are two markets developing. Highly modified and very lightly modified with little in between.

I'd agree that both Road Saloons and Super Road Saloons SHOULD be successful ideas, but they just don't seem to be.