View Single Post
Old 13 Nov 2019, 13:27 (Ref:3940375)   #941
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrystl View Post
I have a dial gauge (digital) and a micrometer (digital), I tried to get it to measure down 3/1000 of an inch, it is so minuscule that it is virtually zero, same with my Micrometer, The difference could be as simple as taking measurements at a different temperature (hot day-cold day, hot workshop-cold workshop - hot item cold item) that only some of the measurements were off and the others were within spec would have someone in the industry believe that the engine problem that Supercars experienced was the cause of the discrepancy.
There are dial gauges and dial gauges which read even more accurately over a very short range. A tool maker will explain the differences for you. Any generic 1/2" dial gauge has not got the resolution to measure very small amounts and 1 thou is not a small amount when it cones down to it. A digital instrument suffers more resolution loss than a mechanical one but some are better than others. Digital in this scenario is not good enough because of the resolution loss, gee sheep stations are on the line here.