View Single Post
Old 18 Apr 2017, 15:35 (Ref:3727584)   #98
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I think the big peril here is that he gets injured and that's why my heart loves this but my head tells me this is very unwise. It's quite a bigger risk than in F1, some quite experienced Indy peddlers have been caught out in recent years and have had to have been benched for some substantial periods with more than minor injuries. So Alonso entering that kind of fray for the first time is a bit hair raising from a safety POV.

Which is why I don't think there'll be copy cat acts. We *may* see sometop F1 driver do NASCAR's Watkins Glen or something like that. I'd be looking in that direction for US "cross overs" if any. Maybe some well-to-do wealthy backmarker driver might do both Indy and Monte. That could happen. But the "prize" F1 drivers won't be permitted. They're barely permitted on scramblers as it is!

Insofar as his competitiveness is concerned, I think he'll be there or there abouts. He's broadly familiar with the dimensions of the track having raced the half-oval before in F1. But of course, it remains to be seen whether he exactly takes to racing with others the way the Indycars drivers do. The DRS slip streamin' stuff may help him a little. I do think he's a more agile and dynamic figure than Piquet for example so I think he'll be well poised to feature in the first third of the pack before he spins off.