Old 8 Jul 2010, 11:50 (Ref:2723464)   #21
Kevin McCann
Rookie

England
Cranleigh Surrey
Kevin McCann should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
My favorite was the recent "Styled by Loeb" C4 - the top model available in the range was a 1.6 Diesel!

I'm still not sure on Norris Designs. I've seen their demo car on many occasions, but I've never once seen it run without it going bang! I wonder if they would be better off with a 750/800 BHP car that runs reliably, rather then a 950 BHP car that is phenomenally quick for about 5 minutes.

The best chance for the Evo at the moment is Steve Hill Motorsport in the UK. Steve Hill obviously has experience with Evo's, and the potential in the car is there, but he seems to be forever plagued by reliability problems. Of course he is a privateer trying to develop a brand new chassis though, so development "speed bumps" are inevitable. He seemed to have the same problem with his previous Evo though - great performance up to the point where something went bang.

I'm biased as my preference is with Subaru but, looking at it realistically, I think a properly funded Subaru has more potential to succeed in rallycross as you have a much greater selection of WRC parts to utilise. If you look at companies like Roger Clark Motorsport, they have built numerous EJ20 engines running 600+ BHP (rallycross territory) which have gone on to be regularly (and reliably) raced.
The main problem 45mm restrictor!! Massive torque increase, we would be in 650-700 bhp without it but at 550bhp it SHOULD be reliable, as it is not at the moment we are trying to find reliability but the funds are not available to go any further at this moment in time. Rallycross engines are normally pushed to the extreme horse power and torque wise which is why the reliability is not always there.As you have seen running up to 100 bhp behind the top cars is not very entertaining or rewarding for us small teams but we will always give our all and anyone who knows us knows this is so.