View Single Post
Old 21 Mar 2010, 19:57 (Ref:2657377)   #18
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Sorry to exhume such an old thread, but I stumbled across this on the Belgian website http://sport.turbomagazine.be/ :

Quote:
De GT4 European Cup begint aan een vierde seizoen en met een verwachte startgrid van tussen de 20 en 30 wagens lijkt de basis van de GT-racerij eindelijk goed van de grond te komen. Bovendien zijn ook andere continenten, waaronder Aziƫ en Noord-Amerika, klaar om de filosofie te importeren. De GT4 Asia Cup begint in ieder geval midden mei.
Now, my Dutch is not perfect, and FIRE or someone else might want to correct me, but if I (and the google translator) understand this right, the translation of this paragraph would be:

Quote:
The European GT4 Cup begins its fourth season and with expected grids of 20 to 30 cars, the basis of GT-racing has finally got its feet on the ground. Moreover, other continents - including Asia and North America, are ready to import the concept. The Asian GT4 Cup begins in mid may, anyway.
The author of this is Joost Custers, who, I think, also writes for DSC.
I am wondering now, if this is only speculation or if there is indeed an initiative for an American GT4 series - and if so, which sanctioning body?
One could of course think that this refers to the new GTS-class of Speed World Challenge, but I have another theory:

[Conspiracy Theory ]Perhaps I am getting a bit ahead of myself here, but could this be a further attempt by IMSA to attack Grand Am, this time by trying to lure away teams from the Continental Tire series (the GS class is almost GT4) ??
Some normally well informed posters on here and on the americanlemansfans.com-Forum have recently commented about how IMSA could do with a Continental Tire style series, so that makes me even somewhat more suspicious... [/Conspiracy Theory]