View Single Post
Old 20 May 2022, 17:48 (Ref:4110719)   #21
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwent View Post
There will be people who have raced all their lives but there will be other, "mature" drivers who have got the money to buy the car, go to ARDS, get a licence and perhaps do their six events in a saloon or Formula Ford and are then able to go out with a50 year old single seater on narrow tyres that needs a different skill set.

When you look at the lap times there were people who were 18 seconds a lap slower than the leader in cars that could be driven nearly as quickly. On the other hand there were some slower cars being driven very quickly by experienced drivers. There was a Lotus 18 that was beating newer and more powerful cars.

How you deal with this I do not know but you see it in all areas of historic racing. If someone can afford a car, should you stop him racing it because he is slow or lacks race craft.
All very good points which I have thought myself many times.

Maybe there should be an Advanced ARDS test for people wanting to drive vehicles in advance of X bhp/tonne? Being able to lap within say 110% of a good mid grid time, and also requiring greater number of races as experience. Maybe that lap time should be revisited frequently to prove that age is not becoming a handicap.

An International Historic licence is laughingly easy to "qualify" for.

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk