Thread: 2021 Race Dates
View Single Post
Old 8 Apr 2021, 22:35 (Ref:4045238)   #321
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It does seem faintly ridiculous then, that after April 12th, I could attend a boot fair or similar with as many as 4000 others possibly in something like a 10 acre field - but I can't attend a club race meeting at an outdoor venue of perhaps 250 acres that's likely to be attended by a few hundred people? Go figure!

I get the argument that they're lumping all sports in together for these purposes, and social distancing may be problematic with 4000 people in a stadium, for example, but the argument doesn't hold water as far as I'm concerned: it doesn't take a genius amongst the powers that be to realise that there's a huge difference between the aforementioned stadium and a 250 acre outdoor race track.

Yes, I appreciate that all the football fans would be up in arms if we were allowed to go to race meetings but they weren't allowed to go to football matches. But my response to that would be to refer them to the above: use your common sense and accept the fact that there's a big difference between a semi-enclosed football stadium and a wide open 250 acre race circuit venue. Accept it, get over it and move on!

Admittedly, I recognise the flaw in this plan is probably expecting the average football fan to use their common-sense!