View Single Post
Old 1 Jun 2000, 21:22 (Ref:1946)   #1
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

After Ron Dennis described Monaco's facilities as "Third world", I thought I would start this topic to see what others opinions were.

OK, some of you will be saying of course they shouldn't, it is the jewel of F1, the race that every driver wants to win.

Yes, that is true, but here are a few other things that are true:

-Monaco has the worst safety facilities of all the F1 circuits. The FIA does not even bother to do the same safety checks they do with the other circuits because they know it fail by a long shot.

-The tightness of the circuit makes it impossible to land a helicopter on the track.

-Very few of the drivers enjoy driving on the tight and twisty track.

-None of the teams like the paddock is the most cramped, dirty and lacking of proper facilities in all of F1.

-The only reason it is still on the Formula One calender is tradition. If there wasn't already a race there, the FIA would definitely laugh at anyone who suggested there should be one there.

-There is no place to pass, and the race is always one of the most boring in F1 with very little passing. The only interesting part is the crashes.

My opinion is that they should look into moving the race to a safer place. However, Monaco being the wealthiest principality in the world, and all of the tradition around the race, the FIA will not even think about it until someone dies.