View Single Post
Old 8 Sep 2019, 22:00 (Ref:3926753)   #4491
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kentucky did have the problem of a lack of date equity before IndyCar left, just like Fontana and Milwaukee did. Its recent renovation has sped up the track for better NASCAR races but that usually creates parades of Phoenix-like proportions for IndyCar, or the deservedly unwanted pack racing. So I have no idea if that oval near Sparta, KY, is still suitable for these kind of cars.
The same definitely goes for the big oval in Brooklyn, Michigan. And that's why IndyCar better not try it at this point. Montreal indeed ought to be high on IndyCar's "shopping list", as should be helping to find a new title sponsor for the former Iowa Corn Indy.

For an event in the Northeast, I would not rule out Pocono returning on the introductory sanctioning fee again in 2021. Yet, if it doesn't, the only remaining option in that region might be getting into the IMSA weekend at Watkins Glen. But that is unlikely since both the track and IMSA, too, are owned by IndyCar's direct competitor NASCAR. Somehow, I still think Randy Bernard was right in replacing all ISC tracks from the schedule. Jaye Frye tried Phoenix and Watkins Glen again, but neither worked for IndyCar and are gone again. Here's hoping IndyCar's new event at Richmond works out well for both the promoter and the series as a good and safe race with a nice crowd. It is well possible since there has been a change in leadership at NASCAR in the meantime.

I agree that it's odd to only have one superspeedway on the schedule with the Indianapolis 500. But the media echo of this will be different: they will promote the uniqueness of the Indy 500 instead. Over time, that can increase interest in booking another race for IndyCar on a different 2 mile or 2.5 mile superspeedway again.

Until then, why not add some more flat short ovals? Gateway has been excellent and Milwaukee is still missed for all the action in traffic.