View Single Post
Old 4 Jun 2003, 09:23 (Ref:620182)   #7
Osella
Veteran

Osella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Neil C
I drive the same roads as Chui (welcome to the Forums, btw), and I do have a medium sized SUV (Ford Escape). My question for all of those that stereotype SUV's and their owners is: what is worse, an SUV owner that uses 500 gallons per year driving to work and carting his/her family around, or a Honda Civic owner who's car gets 30mpg but they use 1500 gallons per year cruising main street and driving around with no particular place to go, unless it's to the mall to hang out?

My point is, we all have choices, and it is irritating to see everyone caught up in the hypocritical public furor over SUV's. Do we brand SUV owners as the bad guys so we can escape our own guilt about whatever we are fretting over these days: the environment, Arab oil, Iraq? If so, stop it. If you feel guilty about something you do or are, change it! And stop trying to make others feel guilty so you can feel superior.

Now, what was this thread about?

Interesting defence, stereotyping Honda Civic owners as listless mall-rats...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we have work, and families, here in the UK and Yurrp, and, on my last inspection at least, most Honda Civics are capable of making that journey and carrying those people.

A Volvo wagon can carry 5 (or 7 with the rearward facing seats like the old ones had) and half a ton. What SUV do you need that significantly improves on that? And is it even on the same page, dynamically, or structurally, as a Volvo (any Volvo??)

I feel no guilt.

SUVs are for the most part overweight.

Of course we're all free etc etc but I for one feel that freedom cheapened somewhat whenever some goes on about it in a libertarian way...