View Single Post
Old 4 Jun 2003, 15:20 (Ref:620688)   #12
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Garcon, be my guest.

Okay, one major problem with occupant safety is that Ford and GM both made the roofs of their SUVs paper-thin for several years in order to increase fuel economy. Hence all the broken necks in rollovers.

You can't always get what you want, Garcon. You can't keep a tiger tied to a tree on the lawn. You can't run red lights. You can't use your street as a runway for a surplus MiG-21 you bought off eBay.

Why? Because those actions would put other people in imminent danger. Mill proposes a limit on personal freedom at the point where a third party will be harmed. Even a majority of the American Libertarian party subscribe to this theory. The alternative to such a limit is anarchy.

Under current regs, I cannot buy a car which has not passed tests to demonstrate that it "sufficiently" protects it's occupants in a crash. Yet I _can_ buy a vehicle which has been _proven_ to be an increased threat to pedestrians and other motorists. I can even put "bull bars" on it to make _sure_ I kill any pedestrians I strike!

To me, this is the Harm Theory turned on it's head. I cannot take my own life in my hands, but I _can_ take steps to put all around me in increased danger.