View Single Post
Old 5 Feb 2004, 20:33 (Ref:864505)   #16
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by rzsio396
. . .you need timekeepers like you need marshals - jimw
No offence intended but actually for some cases I'm not sure that I agree with you.

If (and its a big if I know) you could get drivers to agree a way of making up a grid without practice time, then it seems to me what you need are lap scorers, not practice times.

After all it happens about once a year when fog or some such turns practice into three laps behind a course car. Drivers all seem to agree a grid (championship points, last race, whatever) and the racing has never seemed to suffer.

Teams all have (almost all?) their own timing equipment which is as accurate as they need for gaining an idea of which of the latest demon tweeks they are using is working or not.

I'm not on any kind of crusade but I have thought this for years and rarely had any convincing argument against except that it would not be possible to agree on a grid.

Regards

Jim