View Single Post
Old 19 Mar 2018, 09:01 (Ref:3809052)   #42
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnh875 View Post
I imagine the A2 was a response but Audi definitely went their own way. I'm not sure why but I couldn't find the original moose test footage, but there was the ADAC/M-B re-test with a hilariously 'tame' ADAC tester.

The only A-class I've driven was an A45 - definitely not wheezy!
I've only seen stills of the car tipping over in the original test. The A45 motor is not a Renault lump, as far as I know! I think it's mainly the diesels.....

The A Class wasn't the only German car to have initial stability problems in the last couple of decades. The first Audi TTs supplied in Europe were all recalled (to Germany) as the shape allowed the rear to lift at speed. Combined with aggressive suspension settings to reduce understeer, it resulted in drivers losing the back end if lifting off at high speed on a bend. Hence the retro fitted rear spoiler, suspension changes and tweaked electronic stability settings... Road testers in the UK reckoned the 'before' TT was a much better drivers car, but Audi obviously decided it was a little too nervous for general use!

From memory the Smart 4/2 also achieved some initial notoriety due to the handling on snow or ice. Remember seeing pictures of them upside down on Autobahns! Not sure if it was ever sorted, as the very short wheelbase and rear weight bias were the main problems....