Thread: Nice new Kia
View Single Post
Old 16 Nov 2018, 21:29 (Ref:3863673)   #25
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
My Father fancied an Auto back in the 60s. So he pex'd a Ford Zephyr for a 1500 Cortina Auto in 1965.

I got the impression he may have decided he had made a mistake. He seemed to drive it far more aggressively, in terms of engine use, as the weeks passed. Then, one night when it was a few months old, we hit the back of a badly lit artic that had stopped just after a bend on a cross country B road on a wet November evening.

Once the insurance had paid up he went off and bought a Cortina GT. Very sensible I thought. However, 5 years later he sold that and bought a Morris 1800 Auto. Sadly that outlived him.

I went Auto in the late 90s with a VX Senator 24V. Proper transport for my weekly commute at the time. I adopted left foot braking to give the left leg something to do.

I have not hankered after manuals since although my wife's Toyota is manual, so I still get some practise from time to time. Awkward though since I dare not change the seating position enough to suit me for the short trips, knowing that she will complain about having to try to get it back to how she wants it if I do more than slide the seat back.

The Toyota is quite interesting despite how people feel about them, although when I last drove it a few days ago I got the impression that the gear change was not as good as I had thought it to be. Maybe my occasional spirited use is not doing it any good.

On the subject of Kia - some years ago when my car was in for a service the loan car available on the day was a little Kia Picanto. It looked like its previous life had involved being towed by a motorhome.

It was a typical small shopping trolley ... except that it had the very best manual gearbox I have ever used. It was so good that for a while I briefly considered buying the thing just to be able to experience the 'box now and again.

Fortunately sense prevailed.