View Single Post
Old 30 Jan 2019, 11:22 (Ref:3880642)   #104
gregc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedford
gregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Many women have criticised the project, most notably Pippa Mann.

It would be easier if 3-driver teams in FIA F3 were required to have a least one woman.
My biggest problem with this whole concept (apart from the segregated racing itself, which is just plain wrong to me - but Pippa Mann, Sophia Floersch and others have articulated that far better than I can) is that if you want to increase female representation in motorsport then going in at F3 level is far, far too late.

Spend the money supporting female drivers in karting and junior series, or put it into a female driver development programme - I'd be right there supporting either of those. By the time you get to F3, most of the female drivers have already fallen away from the sport. Of course, it's harder to make a PR stunt out of things like that....

I'm not going to criticise the drivers who are taking the opportunity (I think Jamie Chadwick has the best attitude - it's another series she can add to her 2019 calendar, and it's free, so she might as well go for it), but I genuinely hope the series itself fails - otherwise I worry that segregated racing starts being seen as normal*.

*it pains me saying that, normally I would wish any new series the best of luck on the basis that more racing is always good. But not this one.