View Single Post
Old 12 Sep 2019, 10:01 (Ref:3927531)   #4829
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmaz223 View Post
Anyone else watch the Channel 5 doc about the Dreadnoughts.Fascinating. Can't imagine what it would've been like at Jutland and other battles. Wish the original images could be made to colour like what Peter Jackson did with the WW1 Programme.

For me being young you find it hard to imagine it happened with the amount of change thats happened since. Quite sad in a way but also good aswell.

Anyway enough of me for one day. Time to worry more about college.
I watched it. Good stuff. Interesting comment from the US engineer on board USS Texas about the vast majority of sailors of that time would not have had electricity at home, and yet were operating one of the most technologically advanced machines know to man at that time. Must have been awe inspiring.

I have been to Scapa Flow, and colleagues of mine dived on the wreck of HMS Royal Oak, a WW2 casualty courtesy of some exceptional navigation and seamanship from the German U-Boat commander, Gunther Prien.

One thing the tv programme did not mention is that the German wrecks are one of the only sources of virtually radiation free steel in the world, and still used in a variety of medical and scientific instruments.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-background_steel