Thread: Brabham BT40
View Single Post
Old 7 Apr 2015, 19:35 (Ref:3524810)   #185
Mike Rand
Rookie

Mike Rand should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Man those rims are gorgeous, you must have an army of youths to keep them looking like that !
I chose to go in a different direction as I well remembered how time intensive those wheels were my first trip around with a BT40 in 1975-5-6.
By the way, the ex-Ken Duclos two time SCCA National Championship winning car, BT40-17, that I bought a year ago, had sadly been sold on. Due to massive knee revision surgery and the attendant loss of both strength, feeling [in the all important right foot] and overall maneuverability I came to the conclusion it deserved a better steward than I could be.
The car was sold to Bob Burnside of Michigan, it will join the other three open wheelers in his stable alongside a Winkleman FB car, a Titan and a Crossle FF both for vintage/historic racing.
This is a substantial step for Bob but after talking at length I am convinced he will be a great keeper of this great car.
Back to those beautiful rims of Collins, I chose to have them crack tested and cleaned up and black powder coated.
They look just fine though compared to Collins they don't !
That said, the maintenance will involve wiping off the brake dust and that's about it !
Regarding pads, check out KFP Reds, they come harder but I would suggest nothing harder than the Blue and probably the Reds would be just fine.
And good luck with the car, the BT40 , while not a Tauranac car, maintains all the Brabham traits of strength and ease of working on it and driver friendly behavior on track.