View Single Post
Old 20 Oct 2017, 08:24 (Ref:3775176)   #78
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzzor View Post
I guess they've just developed that thing around him and poor Bottas can drive as hard as he can but won't do the time at the end of the lap.
In Andrew Benson's column a few weeks ago, he discusses why Hamilton seems to be getting more consistency from the car than Bottas.
Wolff has described the car regularly as being a 'diva',
'We have a capricious car that has a very narrow operating window with the tyres where the tyres generate optimum grip, and dipping in and out of the window is the fundamental story of 2017 for us. Driving style plays a role. Lewis was able to better adapt to the problem than Valtteri but changing driving style is not something that comes easy to anybody.'

The capriciousness seems to be the factor here, and perhaps it is Hamilton's experience with the car's history and development that allows him to identify this earlier and compensate.

An interesting thought is how do you determine the better car? It is acknowledged that the Ferrari seems to be quick everywhere, but also that the Mercedes is regularly the quickest out there.
So both Vettel and Hamilton have had the best car this season - depending on how you determine the quality.
Consistently good, or occasionally brilliant?