View Single Post
Old 29 May 2002, 08:03 (Ref:299156)   #9
egor
Veteran

Wales
N.Wales
egor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the report is very general in its approach to this unique problem, it is blaming sportscar and sport prototype for having the problems of flipping (VERY RARE) and leaving the circuit, i have seen this happen in several different classes and types of racing.
When a car leaves the ground - did'nt NASCAR have this problem(just flipping) a couple of years ago, after this they fitted flaps to the top of the vehicle to eliminate this problem.
I was also at Donnington Park when Keith Odor in a touring car got hit coming down to the old hairpin and ended up barrel rolling over the gravel trap and landing upside down on the spectator side of the fencing(without touching the fencing), which was FIA type fencing.
I do believe that a race car should be as safe as you can make it, and also the arena in which it races should be as safe as possible. But these freak accidents do happen and will happen because there will allways be a freak condition that no one has tested for, or anticipated and that will cause a problem.
Egor....