View Single Post
Old 18 Dec 2018, 10:38 (Ref:3871077)   #3322
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
No offence taken, Peter; was just unsure of your meaning.

Being domiciled outside of the UK, and living mostly in Spain, it wasn't possible to and/or expedient to use UK based insurers. So I am talking about Spanish insurers and their practices. Although a couple/few British insurers have entered the Spanish market with Spanish offshoots (Direct Line, for example) and are beginning to shake up the market, the laws surrounding the financial services industry in Spain is heavily weighted for the benefit of the providers.

As for online, in many parts of Spain you were lucky if you could even get enough speed to do anything online. Even now, 10 mbps is considered to be really fast in many parts of the country, whilst now that I am back in the UK, I had my broadband speeds reduced from 300 mbps to just 100 as I just don't need the higher speeds.

So no, not much insurance business is conducted online in Spain, even now.
Well, if I understand this https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-cont...718965&from=EN correctly it basically says that the Consumer Protection Act in the UK should be replicated by any other country. I mention the CPA since it was developed to comply with EU law but the French/Spanish/German equivalent will apply equally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
The problem in the UK is that those who voted to leave the EU all seem to have different visions of what that means, and how it should be implemented. Mind you, the same could almost be levelled at the remainers, because they also have different visions about how the EU should evolve in the future.

But there are many in the UK who did actually believe, or so they say, the figures on Boris' bus.
Notwithstanding Boris' bus, the argument for remain was based upon, as I said, Armageddon. Instead of working on the basis that the EU was good for all, the campaign basically said its the EU or nothing.

I wasn't in the UK at the time so not sure if there were any cogent arguments put forward, but the main protagonists for remaining were (in no particular order) Cameron, Blair, Campbell, Adonis, Clegg, Cable and Mandelson. None of whom I'd trust to sell me a used car.