View Single Post
Old 20 Mar 2017, 18:56 (Ref:3720265)   #3439
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Interesting as I find some similarities with F1. The cars are not particularly interesting. The rules are so rigid, it's practically a spec series, so very little variation and differentiation in the way the cars look. I don't subscribe to Sky, so coverage for those races not shown live on Channel 4 (as opposed to legal good quality coverage) is hit and miss. Though I can just about handle push to pass, as drivers are limited to the number of times it can be used, I've never liked DRS. Race length is more or less the same as F1.
I agree. That's also why I don't watch F1 as much. But F1 has far less safety cars than IndyCar and utilises FCYs, so the random effect is minimised in F1. TV coverage (like IndyCar) is completely dire and overly expensive, and like you I hate DRS.

Quote:
The last few F1 season's have been predictably boring. I stopped watching F1 during the Schumacher/Ferrari years because it got monotonous and I've been thinking about doing the same again with F1. If the 2017 F1 season is anything like the last few, despite the new car regs, I'll start to miss races.
I actually get the same feeling with IndyCar, because there always seems to be a random roll of the dice that means half the race was worthless. It felt monotonous sitting down to watch a 2 hour race, of which the first 90 minutes could be completely disregarded. You can achieve an IndyCar random result by making races 30 minutes wrong and randomising the grid. That's what put me off it completely.

If that's what people want, then awesome. I'm not going to sit and tell you that's wrong because it's not - different preferences for different folks. But IndyCar is a shadow of its formal sense, and I figured it might be worth hearing an ex-fans opinion. I watched both CART and IRL through the 90s and 2000s, and even attended a CART race (that's relatively rare for a Brit!), but I just can't watch the new IndyCar. It doesn't feel like IndyCar to me, at all.