View Single Post
Old 1 Nov 2018, 13:14 (Ref:3860354)   #1
martiansunrise
Rookie

martiansunrise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MGB - FIA HTP and Engine Spec

Hello all,

I am after a bit of advice, if possible.

I am building a '63 B to FIA App K spec. It is at the rolling shell stage and we are looking into engine/box setup. There is a lot out there, but lots of it is confusing/contradictory/guarded secrets!

Am I right in thinking that to get the HTP, the car MUST have the 3 BRG/3 synchro gearbox? How thorough are the inspections?

It seems that lots of people run the 5 BRG/4 synchro (for various reasons - £$£, reliability, mothballing the 3BRG, etc.) and no-one bothers too much. is it just that a blind eye is turned once the car has its papers?

Do I just run the 3BRG and hope for the best? Fit the std engine for the inspection then swap?

I think i know what the 'correct' answer is, but I am after some practical advice that would avoid the cost of building two engines, and shelving the 3BRG once certified.

I have one of each of the 3/5BRG and the 3/4 synchro, as well as a later Pete Burgess race head.

I know the humble B has probably been discussed to death, but there is a wealth of knowledge here for a novice and I would appreciate any advice.

Richie.

Last edited by martiansunrise; 1 Nov 2018 at 13:34.