View Single Post
Old 17 Apr 2013, 14:55 (Ref:3235831)   #1332
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post
It's probably a V6, it's the best compromise and very compact, shorter than I4 and you can put the turbo(s) in the V angle.
I also wonder if it is easier to make a V6 as a stressed member than an I4. And would an I4 likely require five main bearing journals instead of just four on a V6 (more friction?) I just finished Mezger's biography and it was interesting that he commented upon the decision regarding the V6 TAG F1 engine that he was not a fan of using an I4 engine.

I don't know what consists of state of the art in racing engine design is these days, but will the same issues that drove Mezger to his V6 design drive Porsche's current design team to also use a V6.

Richard