View Single Post
Old 30 Jul 2005, 07:39 (Ref:1367076)   #42
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menelaos
I don't think the number of titles is enough info to judge a driver. Schumacher would probably not have as many titles if Senna wasn't killed or Hakkinen didn't retire so soon. On the other hand, Hakkinen could have had only one title if MS hadn't broken his leg in 1999. MS could have fewer titles if he had a good second driver in Ferrari, he could have gotten a few of his. Raikkonen has no title, but he was robbed by Mercedes and the FIA in 2003, and now it's surely not his fault that he can't do much. It's ridiculous to sort drivers this way. By average points per race, that would be better. But still there's absolutely no way to isolate the car from the driver, so any statistics are just worthless in my opinion.
I tend to agree with this with the exception of Kimi in 2003. My recollection was that Schumacher was nearly 'robbed' by a points system calculated to bring a halt to his years of dominance.