View Single Post
Old 1 Jun 2019, 08:42 (Ref:3907260)   #218
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Greem, I appreciate the clarity you bring here, and accept that I had not considered the ISC in my previous posts.

A query if I may, does the ISC state a typical penalty for the 'unsafe' clause?
No, the ISC Article 12 outlines the reasons for penalising entrants/teams/drivers etc, details the potential penalties available to clerks of the course and/or stewards, and details the application of penalties, levying of fines, appeal process for penalties/fines/suspensions and so on.

It is then added to, superseded (potentially; I haven't yet seen a series with regs that do that) or amended by individual series' sporting regulations. In the case of F1, the 2019 SRs section 38.3 detail the application of penalties for "any driver involved in an Incident".

The current SRs provide a bit more detail to the penalties listed in the ISC, with specific clarifications for safety car or VSC situations and other specific F1 situations.

The absolute minimum penalty for a driver involved in an Incident (FIA capitalisation as it refers to a definition in the SRs and the ISC) is a 5 second time penalty. There is no specific reference to a penalty for unsafe release.

So.... the penalty given to Verstappen was the absolute minimum that could be applied under the current rules and therefore pretty fair, in my opinion. The 'danger' side of things was about as mild as it could be, given the outcome.

If anyone's feeling academic, try and determine when the current cascade of 5s/10s/drive-through/10s stop-go penalties came into being