View Single Post
Old 30 Jun 2019, 20:53 (Ref:3915213)   #83
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmerRS View Post
Exact moment of the contact, I think it is 50-50 because Max could take a tighter line and Charles could stay wider:
Max could have taken a tighter line, if he had the grip to do so. He could also have clipped the apex instead of missing it by at least a car's width.

Charles could only go wider by driving off the track (he did anyway). Perhaps if he had run even further off track he could have avoided the contact, maintained momentum and stayed ahead. but then there would have been a large faction saying that he gained an advantage (ie didn't lose a place) by going outside of track limits.

It seems to be an impossible conundrum. At the root of the problem is the issue of track limits. Drivers have been going further and further beyond them for years. And as drivers have gone off track more and more, the circuits have been modified to make that easier, safer and less damaging. So the drivers do it even more. The only solution I can see is a rigorous 100% enforcement of track limits rules. You can't be a little bit pregnant and you can't be a little bit off-track.