Old 24 Oct 2018, 10:04 (Ref:3858818)   #5
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
My post was 12 years ago . . . . . I haven't changed my car in 3 years, it runs a 24mm ARB, 500 lb front, and the same rear leaf springs . . . . weight distribution is 55/45 . . . feels fine to me. It's still a mk1 Cortina.

On a not quite FIA Cortina with 52.5/47.5 F/R distribution I ran 600lb front coils and single rear leaf springs of indeterminable poundage (I doubt no more than around 225/250 lbs). Front ARB was 1 inch (25.4mm for you youngsters). Handling was great though it tended to lift inside front wheel a tad - particularly so at Silverstone's Brooklands corner.
Also played around with an FIA Cortina which didn't handle anything like as well. It had around the same as your weight distribution of 55/45 with a 15/16th inch ARB (23.8mm). Front springs were 600 lbs and multi leaf rears were unknown poundage - probably around 250 lbs. This car sat higher than the other car by around threequarters of an inch at the front and just over an inch at the rear and we were in a 'development' stage changing one thing at a time when the car was destroyed so we never got to know just how well it might have handled.
I agree with Robyn that the rear needs to be fairly soft on touring cars.
To answer the OP's point pitch was never a major problem with either car.