Thread: WEC WEC 2021 season
View Single Post
Old 23 Dec 2019, 21:08 (Ref:3948296)   #72
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
It doesn't sound any worse than a number of the tracks on the IMSA slate. Brands is no narrower than Road America; Mosport, VIR, or Sebring away from the pits; and the Daytona infield. And actually, the Daytona banking seems narrower than I expected watching the start of the 2019 race again. i imagine it started at 40 ft, but the SAFER barrier takes 3 out of that, so 37 ft wide.

Any of the tracks that are faster than Sebring have such a large proportion of high-speed corners that any meaningful collision will also lead to an off, and almost certainly a pace car here in the States. BTW, the tracks faster than Sebring are VIR, Road Atlanta, Road America, Mosport Park, Watkins Glen, and Daytona.

Bad access, or poorly managed egress, isn't uncommon at race meetings. Getting out of Watkins Glen after the 2009 IndyCar race was a mess. And old road courses that haven't been built over by now have a tendency to be out in rather more rural areas.

As for the cars, are the Hypercars going to be particularly faster than the DPIs? The LMP2s may be somewhat slower even than the IMSA crop. The GTEs may well be right in line with the pace of the old C2s, and both IMSA and WEC will have 3 works teams there. GTD isn't massively slower than GTLM, either, and that's not a complexity that the WEC even has to worry about.

I'm sorry, but too often I feel like I could transliterate "safety standards" and "demands of fans", in WEC jargon, into "not Grade 1, so not good enough for us".

Finally, ALMS worked at Mosport in 2007-08. There wasn't any paved run-off there yet, and it was spectacular to watch, especially in the high-speed corners.

Yes, the Andretti Straight is longer than the run from Surtees to Hawthorn, but it isn't exactly a straight; don't forget why the 2010 ALMS race was red-flagged. Aside from that, the pit straight at Mosport is shorter than the front stretch at Brands. You have a bit of a straight from T1 to T2 at Mosport, but the same applies to the run from Paddock Hill to Druids. You then get more of a straight from Druids to Graham hill than you do from T2 to T3 at Mosport. You don't really get a straight particularly from T3 to Moss at Mosport, but do between Hill and Surtees at Brands. And T4 at Mosport is somewhat notorious itself; even in 2017, you had the #10 Cadillac take out one of the Corvettes there trying to go three-wide.

Beyond that, you don't really get any straights at Mosport, but you do get a short one from Hawthorn to Westfield, a "straight" from Westfield (1st apex) to Sheene, and you also have Clearways. Furthermore, Dingle Dell/Sheene and Stirling's are eased and the straight between them is longer than it was in the Group C days.