View Single Post
Old 26 Jul 2008, 08:07 (Ref:2258054)   #6
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TTRS shows that there is a market for "modified Production" cars out there, but IMO the market for Production Saloons (like Sport Maxx) is very limited, if not shrinking due to the financial slowdown in the economy.

In a similar vein, the Production S1 series run by the EERC is quite well supported, though it caters for people who want to do longer races.

For a "Production Saloons" series to succeeed it needs manufacturer support/recognition, and from what I've seen, it hasn't got it. While Dunlop are championing it, the are singing praises to deaf ears.

Much of it, I feel, is due to the total lack of marketing in motorsport below the levels of the BTCC/MSA sanctioned events. While MSVR sing their own praises, they operate a-la Castle Combe - running their own thing, at their own circuits, so they benefit (as a group) from getting punters through the gate.

Getting punters through the gate is key to getting manufacturers, teams, and TV to sit up and look. Popular meetings generate more interest.

Perhaps Sport Maxx needs a generous prize fund, with finish money for everyone who completes the race, docked if they hit someone! (you get paid if you race clean).

Just some ideas. Many of which I've said many many times before (marketing!)