View Single Post
Old 26 Jan 2019, 08:30 (Ref:3878738)   #7
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just caught up with the coverage of the first stage, those onboards look absolutely frightening in the dark and at speed in icy conditions! No wonder these guys are paid top dollar. From my own point of view I think the tv coverage, albeit somewhat limited and the competition in general is wonderful viewing, the investment by the organisers and manufacturers is absolutely huge and deserves more exposure.
I always wonder watching some rally footage whether the spectators are even more slightly unhinged than those who take part! I have attended a few rally stages in the UK on occasions but the level of dedication that some of the spectators show on international rallies particularly Sweden, is quite incredible. They trudge miles humping all sorts of gear in freezing conditions and take up position hours before the anticipated stage in order to catch a fleeting glimpse of some sideways action, oh hang on I've been doing this sort of thing for years watching circuit racing but then at least I get to see a whole race! Unfortunately there will always be a certain element of disruptive people seeking a unique viewing vantage point putting not only themselves at risk but causing nightmares for the organisers, 'twas always thus.