View Single Post
Old 26 Nov 2016, 15:13 (Ref:3691141)   #14
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapezeArtist View Post
I've been puzzling over the potential benefit to Red Bull of starting on super-softs. OK, they'll go a bit longer in the first stint but they'll be on old tyres while their rivals will be on new during the overlap period, so they're unlikely to gain places or even time. The only benefit I can see will be if it allows them to do the race with one less stop.
Maybe the tires are a bit more durable ad the performance doesn't drop at the end of the stint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapezeArtist View Post
Personally, I think Hamilton will try to back Rosberg into the following cars. There's nothing wrong with that; it's what I would do.
Backing up Rosberg also means that the Red Bulls and/or Ferraris are not only close to Nico but also close to Lewis.
It only takes a slightly slower pitstop for Lewis, a slightly hesitant backmarker, a superb pitstop by Red Bull/Ferrari to have them not only pass Rosberg but also Hamilton.
With the Red Bulls possibly going longer on their first stint, and Lewis maybe in traffic after his first stop that is an added risk.

If things turn out as Horner plans, the Red Bull drivers can turn from Lewis' best friends to his worst enemies in the blink of an eye.