View Single Post
Old 4 Nov 2007, 14:57 (Ref:2059322)   #37
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
I think it has been shown that one series is much more dependent on pay drivers than the other. When the "business model" is constructed around having a pay driver and there exists a revolving door to make early, mid and late season exits form the teams more expedient, then there is an extreme that has been reached. Calling oneself a premier series when the first and foremost question is how much budget a driver is bringing beggars belief.

Certainly, drivers bringing a budget to a team is not limited to any series, up to and including F1. However, I think it has been shown in the past here that the IRL is not free of this, nor do they have an inordinate number of pay drivers on the grid. I do nto think the IRL is as bad in this regard as other open wheel and sports car categories.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.