View Single Post
Old 19 Jan 2020, 13:51 (Ref:3952290)   #91
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
I venture into this discussion cautiously as one who gave my best efforts to cover sports car racing whenever I could. I look at Sportscar 365 and Dagys as examples of what I wanted to become but never did. Still over the years, we did make some positive contributions I believe.

You folks are a tough crowd and some of your criticisms are accurate while I question some of them. Covering races is damn hard, exhausting and has its level of danger. I respect the photographers, writers and web developers as I know from experience how difficult their job is.

Recently, we purchased a slide scanner and I have started dipping into the thousands of slides that I shot over the years but never made it to a website. Here is one memorable shot (for me). The photo is a bit grainy but I remember that shot! Andrea Montermini was on the pole and was flying in the special 1997 race at Sebring. I shot this photo and a couple more and then went back to the pits as it was actually too close to the action. He was probably going 140-150 mph.

I was later in the MOMO pit when Montermini came flying around 17 a few minutes later and did a 720 on the front straight. I was standing next to Kevin Doran as he yelled, "Get on the radio and tell that _________ to slow the _______ down!"

I can't wait to find more memories like that one in all the photos but they won't be going to a website. In the early days, I felt appreciation for the efforts and then the comments became hostile and not very encouraging to continue.