View Single Post
Old 20 Jun 2023, 05:49 (Ref:4164731)   #125
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
I would say that instead of adding some gimmicks, it'd be actually a better idea to have a look at what can be done to the cars themselves to make the spectacle better. Perhaps more power, less grip to start with?
That's an interesting thought, and I understand the logic behind it. In an ideal world, it might be a 'solution'.

One issue is that to make too much change to the basic car design would require a fundamental shift away from the NGTC concept. Teams have invested heavily into a set of regulations that guaranteed certain parameters would not change in the future.
The core structure is fixed - based on driver safety and a more robust major component design. All of the 'fragility' that is complained about is deliberately easily and cheaply repaired with a common at-events parts supply.
If you make those parts of the car stronger, that brings with it more cost and potentially leads to more critical structure damage. In turn compromising driver safety and requiring teams to have to re-jig the chassis more often.

I think the key to introducing better racing lies in the original concept of the regulations being 'future-proofed' by being able to modify performance parameters. The engine, HEMS and tyre choices are where changes can be made without affecting the cost of entry or car homologation (another expensive process).

Perhaps as the hybrid system is developed, this is where big improvements in power can come from? Maybe even permit use earlier after corner apex (although the RWD/FWD issue makes this tricky).