View Single Post
Old 2 Nov 2002, 17:20 (Ref:420259)   #4
AMT
Rookie

AMT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
<I don't like the reduction in power. Something that can unstick those rear wheels, that keeps the driver's right foot busy.>

When did you ever see a good driver in a good F1 car struggling with oversteer? It doesn't happen, and probably hasn't since Auto Union. It's a daydream...

<Aerodynamics: I would like see a reduction in downforce. However I would like the emphasis on allowing cars to follow each other.>

Inability to draft comes from reliance on downforce, and the effect of the wake on the car behind.

<Different power plants: Wow that would be good, but I don't like the fuel formula. That's what they had in the mid '80s.>

No, what they had in the 80's was a fuel consumption formula. That's not what I'm suggesting. There should be (as there is now) a single specification for fuel. A more efficient engine of the regulated power would require less fuel for a race distance, and hence less weight.

<Energy recovering systems: Very interesting. Tried by Panoz in sportscars and muted by, I think, McClaren (until it was banned!). It is not crucial to F1 at all, IMO. Could be too heavy and storing energy can be very inefficient.>

That would be a decision for the engineers to make. If it were too heavy, it wouldn't be used. However, the fact that McClaren were developing it and that Panoz used it (I know, I was an engineer on that project) suggests that it could be relevant.

<I feel we should have manual gearboxes (with H pattern!). More chance for a mistake by a driver.>

Outside handbrakes? Ride-on mechanics? aero screens and leather helmets?

<And while we are talking about. Get rid of other aids such as traction and launch control.>

This is more Canute stuff. It's becoming more and more difficult and expensive to police electronics systems, so unless all electronic systems are banned, there will be continuous inflation in scrutineering costs, and to what point? Think of a jet fighter - it's packed with computer-controlled systems, but when it comes to a battle, it's still the pilot's input that is crucial. IMO that's where F1 should be.

Andy