View Single Post
Old 2 Nov 2002, 18:32 (Ref:420298)   #5
DMC
Racer

Australia
DMC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My ideas, I don't claim to have infinite knowledge of F1 but most of these are common sense ways to bring Formula One back to the days of entertaining races requiring every last bit of a drivers skill without compromising on the technology and safety side of the sport.

1. Manual, sequential gearboxes, not a huge step back in terms of technology and not much of a challenge for drivers but its just another way of giving the drivers more control over the car and balancing that with the incredible speeds they're going.
2. Reduced aerodynamic grip made up for with a return to wider, ungrooved tires which is widely regarded as the best way to allow cars to race closer together resulting in more spectacular racing and driving.
3. Standardised engine electronics are a good idea in theory but will remove the creativity in creating a unique engine. For example Mercedes comes up with a new innovation in their engines but cannot impliment it due to restrictions in the standard electronics. Therefore banning two way telemetry is the best option however hard it is to police.
4. Ban traction control and launch control, I want to see full clutch starts, wheelspin and all!
5. Most importantly of all the races should only be held on unique, challenging circuits with no regard for "emerging markets" or commersial interests of companies with no respect for the sport. We NEED Spa and the pre 2002 Hockenheim.