View Single Post
Old 4 Nov 2002, 22:25 (Ref:421761)   #24
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Glen, I've come to respect your opinions, despite not usually agreeing with them, they always seem very well reasoned.

I believe your weight distribution idea may have merit. I think it's certainly something worth exploring.

You and I both agree on a rev limit for the same reasons.

I've come up with several ideas which I believe would bring the slowest and fastest teams closer together, which is why I then suggest more mechanical and less aero grip to allow those cars running at close speeds to run even closer on the track.

My impetus for wanting slicks back is actually for reasons you've mentioned... Current tires don't encourage drivers to over-drive the cars... Right now the cars don't encourage very spirited driving _because_ overdriving will cost you. A slide now means an error... I'd like to see handling characteristics, where drivers _can_ slide the car and be extremely fast. There are many drivers who are naturally fastest when they slide the car around a bit, and I think they should have a fair shot at winning the championship, being as the F1 champion is supposed to be the best in the world (these drivers are often the ones to beat in sports, touring and GT classes, so it's not as though they're unskilled). One could actually say that there are advantages right now to _under_-driving the car... Ralf Schumacher, for instance, rarely pushes the FW24 to it's full potential, but does fairly well because he makes no mistakes.

And I don't believe one can overlook the aesthetics of a low, wide car with big fat slicks on it. A '95 Ferrari looks worlds better than the current model, especially from behind.

There may be a place in F1 for ground effects... But the problem there is they only work in series where the designs are closely regulated by the series... Grounds effects in F1 were really a failure in competitive terms, allowing the teams which got it right, especially Lotus, to simply dominate.

As for the driver aids... I'm boggled by the idea that people think they're good for the sport. It's just silly for the supposed best drivers in the world to have computers controlling elements of the car they should be plenty capable of handling. Automatic gearboxes and traction control are for soccer moms.

As for some of the more... Well, absurd ideas which have been posted here... We need evolutionary, or even devolutionary change... Not some cartoonish jet or solar-powered 6-wheel-drive formula.

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 4 Nov 2002 at 22:28.