View Single Post
Old 12 Dec 2017, 06:18 (Ref:3786475)   #46
rkshanahan
Rookie

rkshanahan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SCA update

It has been years since I last posted about my SCA engine projects, so I thought it was time for an update in case anyone was interested.

Since my last post I have completed 3 of the 5 engines I bought, plus bought another one. I have completed one carbureted SCA and two injected SCAs. The carbureted engine and one of the injected engines went with my old Lola T60 which I sold to Robs Lamplough in the UK about 5 years ago. The remaining injected SCA is going in my current Lola T60 which I plan to sort out and then ship to the UK this winter. I still have the one SCC engine and the partially assembled SCB, plus the injected SCA I bought recently. The problem with the SCC and SCB is that I realized they are much less desirable than an SCA. The only real market for these engines is in Europe, particularly the UK, and for that they have to be 1000 cc. I was going to build the SCB for use here in the US where it would be legal (it would have to run against TwinCam-powered cars), but I have never kept a car here in the US long enough to make an SCB of any use. I had inquiries from Australia for both the SCC and SCB, but both of those deals fizzled out, so here they sit.

The Lucas injection really made the engines come alive. The two injected engines I built both put out a little under 140 hp @9500 rpm on the engine dyno. This is slightly less than Cosworth claimed for their ultimate 1966 engine (142 bhp @ 11,200), but I have used relatively mild cams that give a very broad torque band and the result has been a very drivable engine. I have attached a photo of the first injected SCA I built plus the dyno results for it. Note that there is not a lot of torque, but the curve is almost flat from 6000 rpm to 9500 rpm, which is a very useful rev range.

Regards,

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
Injected SCA.JPG  
Attached Files
File Type: doc SCA dyno chart.doc (49.0 KB, 25 views)