View Single Post
Old 4 Nov 2010, 23:22 (Ref:2785168)   #67
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness2702 View Post
Then you and I are in agreement. I'm very annoyed that some people (obviously not yourself) think that people who stick to one circuit are somehow more deserving of the reward of being considered ahead me, despite the fact that I work just as hard as they do, and contribute just as much to motorsport as they do. To suggest (as some have) that somebody who works no harder than me should be chosen ahead of me, is highly offensive to me (hence my lengthy involvement in this debate).
But that's not the point. Nobody's doubting your aptitude or commitment. Nobody's saying locals are better or that big meeting followers are superior. To a circuit which needs manning every week regardless of what's on, a local is more dependable and more useful to them and needs to be supported. The likes of you following a series or me going a few times to a variety of circuits are a useful bonus (except where we contribute to their over-manning problems) but aren't necessary to their business plan.

No point in being annoyed about it, it's a matter of practicality for the circuits or clubs that use the circuit. Don't hack off your regulars because you're going to need them next week. A visitor who comes once a year because of a series which you can overfill anyway or is there when there isn't a better offer somewhere else? Sorry, mate, we don't really need you, and if you never go back again it's not going to make much difference to them. So yes, to the circuit the local regulars are more important, and I'm speaking as someone who isn't one.

Picking up on Jim's point, if the problem of over-manning at a few meetings can be used to encourage participation at the ones which are under-manned I'm all for it.