Old 5 Mar 2023, 15:58 (Ref:4145826)   #51
ArnageWRC
Racer

UK-ROI
Nord Ouest Ingleterre
ArnageWRC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg7aa View Post

When I first got into the WRC in the Group A era in the late 90s and early 2000s as a youngster, I used to watch 30 minute highlights on BBC 2 Top Gear in the UK and even the most predictable events were made to look good by virtue of how the cars were filmed and presented. They managed to cram a lot of spectacular action into just 30mins with no hysterical commentary, just measured, calm, and informative summaries.

I've noticed people have started commenting about how much more spectacular the fan footage on youtube is. Are the official highlights producers that hamstrung with what they have to work with or are they just completely lacking in imagination?

TV needs to do a much better job, maybe they are doing a good job but it's behind a paywall?
Those 90s WRC highlights are still on YouTube; narrated by Mark James, Tiff Needell - and as you say, they're far superior to what we get now.

And as someone who has watched Red Bull TV produced events, I can't believe they have much input into the WRC broadcasts; it's like night & day. Dull, unimaginative coverage and commentary not much better.

It's just not selling the sport - and no wonder we don't see more manufacturers interested. And the paywall is the absolute killer......
This forum like Autosport, Pistonheads gets very little comment as very few watch the live stuff - and there's very little stories outside of events.