Thread: An Age Question
View Single Post
Old 22 Mar 2018, 19:07 (Ref:3809959)   #28
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm fast approaching 72 - too bloody fast for my liking!

I haven't really had a peak period. I started following F1 at the same time that I became interested in motorsport in general back in the 60s, and that passion remained right up to the Schumacher years at Ferrari. It was at that point that it started to become a bit boring wondering how early in the season that he would win yet another WDC.

My passion re-ignited when he retired for the first time, although nowhere near the intensity of the earlier years. Then, when BCE did the deal with Sky and allowing the BBC out of their contract, I took umbrage because he had made a public commitment, more than once, that F1 qualifying and the races, would always be broadcast on FTA in the UK as long as he was alive and in control of the broadcasting rights.

You might say that I cut my nose off to spite my face, but having not watched any F1 since that very moment, hand on heart, I cannot say that I have actually missed it. I still sort of follow what is going on, but it is certainly not the centre of my attention.