View Single Post
Old 17 Mar 2019, 17:49 (Ref:3891368)   #272
RWDPAUL
Rookie

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
RWDPAUL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Gerard
Yes agree with the cage alloy is not an option anyway , from what I can remember and I may be wrong here so apologies if I am but a guy called Dave Holland died in his sierra cosworth when we were out rallying in the late 80's early 90's witch brought in the banning of alloy cages . I have a guy who makes cages if they didn't use Saftey Devices cages . I do however recall someone telling me some broardspeed shells had additional bars from the cage , through the rear firewall and terminating at the rear chassis rails , not 100% on that though . As for the boot floor you could may well be right . I would think if it was it would be fibreglass with a structural frame for the tank . There was only a few plastics around at that time Perspex that is too brittle , abs and pvc are too soft and would have melted or destroyed with the heat from the exhaust and there's only nylon and maybe ptfe left and ptfe wouldn't be suitable . Also been thinking about dummy leaf springs . There are some around now but I have a funny feeling there not in the correct material . Again I may be wrong but I would thing they were originally made from nylon sheet or laminated from grp not that it matters as they were only there to comply with the regs at the time 🙂