View Single Post
Old 10 Dec 2021, 21:45 (Ref:4088230)   #596
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post
Tbh I have to agree. Out of all the incidents this year that’s the one that still gets me, and probably the most damaging incident for the sport. Luckily for F1 there has been a lot to mask that day so most people will forget, however if Max wins the championship by less than 5 points, some people won’t be happy.
I actually don't mind the awarding of points in Spa, due to the fact that qualifying was a level playing ground, and it at least gave them some reward from that. Given that Verstappen beat Lewis Hamilton to pole position, he was more likely to outscore him anyway, and deserves some reward for that. It seems a bit too much to get half-points, the same as if they actually had raced for half-distance, but often then you get scenarios like Monaco 1984 where the race was stopped when Senna was catching Prost, or Interlagos 2003 where Coulthard lost the win due to pitting just before the red flag (and that was full points), so when half-points are awarded there will always be controversy and injustice.

The thing that will peeve me if Verstappen wins by less than five points is the five extra points he has gained in sprint races compared to Hamilton, as I think it is ridiculous that points should be awarded for a trial new qualifying format, and it is a travesty that points may be extended to the top ten for sprints next season. But then some will be unhappy if Hamilton wins because of the 25 points he gained in Silverstone. To be honest, I think Verstappen deserves it more, as he lost so many points in Silverstone, Hungary and Azerbaijan through little fault of his own. But I'm more glad it has gone to the final race with equal points, and as a neutral I will enjoy the finale whoever wins it (as long as it is won fairly).