View Single Post
Old 14 Jun 2000, 15:40 (Ref:17236)   #8
Michael M
Racer

Michael M should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Aiwa, I'm very sorry, but 10 years competing and in the 11th year the track is too wide is no argument in my opinion. I'm lacking details of this special incident, but the questions must be:
- Is there a limitation of track width? Answer is yes.
- Has the track width influence on the competitiveness of a car? Answer is yes.
- During the check at Zandvoort, was it within the limits or not? Answer must be no, as otherwise there was no reason for disqualification.
- Has the track checked at earlier scrutineerings? If not, you cannot blame Zandvoort scrutineers for doing their job, while others apparently fail. And if the track has been found okay at earlier occasions, who guarantees that no changes had been made in the meantime?

In my opinion the FIA Appendix K is a suitable instrument, and without it there would be anarchy in historic racing. And in case of uncertainties, you have no travel expenses if you present your detailed question in written form to the MSA in charge (DMSB in your case). Mr. Fürst at Frankfurt was always ready to assist, in case the regulations are not 100 % clear, or in case of special situations (e.g. can I use engine block "Y" as the original "X" is not available anymore), and if he is unable to make a statement, he will forward the question to the technical commission of the FIA. However, it is selfunderstanding that questions which are clearly defined by Appendix K will be returned.

And for presenting an appeal, you need no lawyer, and there is even no necessity to be personally present at the appeal session. And the appeal fee? Yes, a lot of money, but if the appealant is right, the fee will be refunded, so where's the problem?
And talking about fun, why are some of you going so close to the regulation limit - or even beyond -, only for having fun?