View Single Post
Old 27 Feb 2024, 19:43 (Ref:4198550)   #25
GusGasfuss
Racer

Germany
Ravensburg, Germany
GusGasfuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In my opinion, world championships for touring cars are dead forever.

They were too expensive in 80s, and also in 2000s, when interest through manufacturers was there. Now they are able to blast their marketing through internet around the world, not through real motorsport.

Round-the-globe-motorsport only works in full manufacturer-driven championships like F1, WEC or WRC (but i am also in doubt with WRC nowadays).

Even with "cheap" cars like TCR, the overhead is too much (freight, logistics, accomodation, etc.). Needs at least a full-paying manufacturer, and actually i only see Lync&Co. fully committed. Hyundai is only trying to get maximum out of minimum effort.
Honda is only helping, Audi completely out. And private entries can only compete on national level.

Maybe the new approach could be, to not send teams around the globe, but to encourage national teams to provide a car for their national rounds, for a works driver. Like Honda tried last year, sending Girolami with different teams according to the Nation the race was in.
Could be interesting for the national teams, to see, what works driver (maybe with engineering support) can do with their machinery?