View Single Post
Old 8 May 2013, 18:09 (Ref:3244442)   #1544
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
Do you know why they're called "prototypes", and how they first came about at Le Mans?

Before the war, Le Mans was a race for Grand Tourers, but after the war, manufacturers weren't putting enough cars into production to race them. Instead, they had cars in early stages of development which they insisted to the ACO (and probably truthfully intended) would one day go on sale, but they wanted to test them over 24 hours.

Prototypes have never been just about moving fast. Why do they have covered wheels? Why are they referred to as sportscars? And why does the ACO insist on the cars looking to look as if they could carry a passenger?

Le Mans is, fundamentally, about road relevance. It's its history, it's justification, its soul.

Whether that means they have to look like road cars, is up for debate - but prototypes are not just about going fast.

For me, personally, the cars have moved too far away from road cars. I thought the late 90s GT1/GTP cars struck a nice balance.
I agree with you, and this is what I was asking.
I think that you misunderstood what I said.
I do not want road cars. What is a road car?
A BMW M3, Corvette, Porsche 911, Viper, Ferrari 458 are road cars,
but the late 90s GT1, Corvette LMP1 Evo, LaFerrari, McLaren P1, Pagani Huayra are not really road cars, beyond some are homologated to the street.
I use LaFerrari, Mc Laren P1, Pagani Huayra only as an example of the form what I want for the LMP1. I do not said that this cars have race in LMP1.
Neither I want that the cars have homologation of street for racing in LMP1.
just look at a picture of an Audi r18 and a Porsche 911 GT1 98, and you will see that I have reason. The Porsche 911 GT1 98 is very much nice that R18.