View Single Post
Old 27 Mar 2020, 08:44 (Ref:3967129)   #1030
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
I've been with MGD in France. He speaks the language like a native. A native of Berkshire [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

"No need to speak the lingo old boy, they all speak better English than you and I."

Sadly that's actually true. I first visited France in 1976, an exchange stay in Amiens, and i spoke 100% French. Since then every time I go back even in the most rural communities people quite happily lapse into English so I don't get to practice my rusty ramblings.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Yes, that's very true. Despite official efforts to stop it, more & more English is creeping in. Watching TV, it is surprising how many adverts are in English. We were in a very French restaurant by the big French war cemetery at Notre Dame, and the waitress on over-hearing I was English automatically translated everything on the menu to me without being asked.

Much of it is down to computers, as much of the 'language' by way of commands etc is in English. My partners son has learned very good English simply by being an ardent on-line gamer.

Whatever they say, we are taking over the world!